Sunday, January 21, 2007

Centipedes:What are they good for?



Centipedes: What are they good for? I do not like centipedes; they scare me. I think they are ugly and aggressive, and they are hard to kill because of their speed. So why are there centipedes?

The Hawaiians call centipedes kanapi. The anatomy of a centipede is segmented and long. The number of legs can vary from 50 to 100. The first pair of legs are poisonous jaws which are used to kill insects such as cockroaches, mothes, flies, worms and even small animals. They like to live in moist places such as your compost pile, rotting wood, or under stones. So, like geckos, centipedes help keep the insect population down and in that way are helpful to us. If you want to keep the centipedes out of your house, clear out all rotting wood, compost piles, grass clippings, and stones from the foundation of your house. I thought I once heard that centipedes were decomposers, but I counld not find any information to support that.


No comments: